Issuance of Visa for Diplomatic and Non-Diplomatic Staff
(1)Embassies /High Commissions/Consulate General Officials/ Consulate Based in Sri Lanka
1.1 Entry Visa for Diplomats & Non-Diplomatic Staff, Permanent Staff
- The Mission has to obtain prior approval from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for creating new position (Home Based). A Note Verbale has to be submitted for justifying the needs of the new position, duty list, and the Curriculum Vitae of the official who is going to take this position.
Any defence related new positions or replacement is required the concurrence of the Ministry of Defence.
The visa application for the new position will be processed if the prior approval or concurrence of this Ministry obtained.
Entry visa requests should be submitted to the Protocol Division through a Sri Lankan Mission abroad or respective Diplomatic Mission in Sri Lanka along with following;
i. Request (Note Verbale)- should be submitted in duplicate
ii. A clear copy of the Data page of the passport of the applicant
iii.Duly filled application for Entry Visa
- Request should be submitted to the Protocol Division of the Ministry 21 days prior to the expected arrival of the officer/s.
- If the request is for Defence related position (Defence Advisor/Attaché), it should be submitted to the Protocol Division of the Ministry 30 days prior to the expected arrival of the applicant/s.
- Upon Ministry’s approval the Department of Immigration & Emigration will convey its approval to the Sri Lanka Mission abroad to issue entry visa for the applicant.
- On Arrival Visas will be issued only for the requests received from countries where Sri Lanka does not have a Resident Mission.
1.2 Entry Visa for dependents and family members of Non-Diplomatic Staff (Home based)
- If the spouse and family members are accompanied with the officer, the applicant should submit the Entry visa application/s together with the officer’s application. If the Spouse and family members are not accompanied by the officer, it is necessary to attach a copy of the visa page of passport of the officer together with their application/s.
- Entry visas for Children over 21 years of age will be granted on reciprocal basis. (Gratis/Payment)
- Entry visas for extended family members other than the Officer, Spouse & Children will be granted on reciprocal basis. (Gratis/Payment)
(2) Residence Visa for Diplomatic, Non-Diplomatic Staff
- Residence visas will be issued only for the applicants who arrived in the country through an Entry visa.
- Visa for spouse and family members shall be granted only until the duration of tenure of the Officer.
- Residence visas will be granted for three (03) years and it can be extended by one year upon request.
- Residence visas for Children over 21 years of age will be processed by the Ministry on Reciprocal basis. (Gratis/Payment)
- Residence visas for extended family members will be granted on reciprocal basis. (Gratis/Payment)
Entry Visa for UN and other International Organizations’ Staff
1.1 Visa Application forms should be submitted along with the following documents;
a) Request letter from relevant Agency/International organization
b) Visa Application as per Protocol Circular
c) Bio Data of the officer
d) Terms of Reference of post including location/project
e) Departure Notice of predecessor
f) Recommendation from the relevant line Ministry
g) Clear copy of data page of Passport of the applicant
- Entry visa for dependents & family of UN and other organization personnel
a)Terms of Reference (TOR) of the relevant Officer
b)Clearance from the Department of External Resources or relevant Line Ministries
c)Clear copy of data page of Passport of dependent of the applicant
Residence Visa for Diplomatic, Embassy Staff and UN Personnel
2.1 Note Verbale/ request letter has to be submitted by the Embassy/High Commission/UN Organisation
2.2 Officer should enter the country through an Entry visa. The Officer who has arrived through a tourist visa will not be allowed to obtain the Residence visa. In that case, Protocol Division will reject the application and return documents.
3. Residence Visa for Dependents & Family of Diplomatic, Embassy Staff and UN Personnel
3.1 The person who applies for visa on behalf of his or her spouse/children must be officially appointed/attached to the Institute/Organization recognized by the Government of Sri Lanka to be entitled to the Diplomatic privileges and Immunities.
3.2 Visa for spouse and family members granted only until the duration of stay of the principal privileged officer
- If the visa is granted on payment basis the esteemed Mission will be notified in this regard. Necessary visa fee should be made at the Department of Immigration & Emigration by the esteemed Mission.
- When applying a visa for a family member / domestic aide of an Official attached to a Diplomatic Mission, a copy of the data page and the visa page of the passport of the official concerned should be submitted along with the duly filled
- Esteemed Missions are cordially requested to collect the passport from the Protocol Counter only without directly collecting the same from the concerned authority.
- The Ministry would be grateful if the esteemed Missions could submit the above mentioned documents when applying for visas in order to avoid unnecessary delays in processing the requests.
Sri Lanka does not recognize same sex unions. Such partners of privileged persons will not be granted gratis visa by which they will be entitled to Diplomatic Privileges and Immunities.
- As a special consideration the Ministry of Foreign Affairs recognizes those in a civil union as entitled to the privileges of spouse provided that they are not of the same sex and are recognized by their own state (refer Protocol Guidelines for further details)
- Visa for the Personal Assistant of Diplomatic Officers will be issued on free of charge on Reciprocal basis
- All Missions are required to send quartely staff returns (Diplomatic, Non-Diplomatic and Locally recruited staff in March, June, September and December, with the updated information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Tel : +94112327048 /+94773671408
Fax : +94112325346
Email : firstname.lastname@example.orgemail@example.com
Hotline : +94772282725(After office hours and Public holidays)
Web : www.mfa.gov.lk