South Asia Division
South Asia Division deals with matters pertaining to bilateral relations with seven South Asian countries; India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, the Maldives, Bhutan, and Afghanistan.
The Division is assigned with the task of keeping track of geo political and socio-economic developments in these countries.
It also directs Sri Lanka’s foreign policy regarding these countries in the political, economic, security, education and social spheres. Technical cooperation and development assistance, investment relations, tourism and cultural promotion through both bilateral and multilateral engagements are part of the duties of the Division.
High Commissions in New Delhi, Dhaka, Islamabad and Male, an Embassy in Kathmandu and a Deputy High Commission in
- Chennai, Consulate General Offices in Mumbai and Karachi manage and sustain our relations with these South Asian countries which are bound by strong historical, cultural and political relations for centuries.
- Coordinating and overseeing work of the eight resident Sri Lanka Missions.
- Coordinating inward and outward visits at Heads of State, Ministerial and Government official levels with these countries.
- Liaising and coordinating with other line Ministries on matters pertaining to Sri Lanka’s relations with South Asian countries.
- Providing guidance to line Ministries on the foreign policy perspective in their interactions with these countries.
- Providing insights when negotiating and finalizing agreements with these countries by studying Inter-State relations and other political dynamics.
- Maintaining healthy relations with resident Diplomatic Missions of these countries based in Colombo.
- Handling matters related to Consular Affairs involving nationals of these countries in Sri Lanka in coordination with the relevant authorities.
South Asia Division is currently headed by Actg.Director General Mr. M.A.K. Girihagama.
Telephone : 0094 11 2 325 925
Fax : 0094 11 5 339 521