The Protocol Division is the arm of the Ministry of External Affairs of Sri Lanka to deal with all matters related to Sri Lanka’s diplomatic relations with the international community through the internationally accepted norms and procedures of ‘Protocol’. Accordingly, the Protocol Division handles official ceremonial functions including Visits, Diplomatic Privileges and Immunities, Accreditations and Concurrent Accreditations of Heads of Missions from Sri Lanka and to Sri Lanka and facilitating logistical and protocol arrangements for international conferences being held in Sri Lanka.
- Ceremonial Functions: Protocol Division deals with logistical and protocol arrangements necessary for facilitating visits by Heads of State, Heads of Government, Ministers, senior officials and other dignitaries to Sri Lanka.
- Protocol Division provides required assistance to the events hosted by H.E. the President, Hon. Prime Minister and Hon. Minister of External Affairs for foreign dignitaries.
- Protocol Division also handles the protocol aspects of the foreign visits of H.E. the President, Hon. Prime Minister and Hon. Minister of External Affairs.
- Implementation of Diplomatic and Consular Privileges and Immunities: Protocol Division is responsible for the implementation of diplomatic and consular privileges and immunities granted to the Diplomatic and Consular Missions, International Organizations and their staff, in terms of the Vienna Conventions on the Diplomatic Relations of 1961, Consular Relations of 1963, Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations of 1946 and the Privileges and Immunities of the Specialized Agencies of 1947.
- Under this responsibility, the Division issues Duty Clearance Certificates, Customs clearance permissions, DPL Vehicle sale permissions, new DPL vehicle registration permits, DPL vehicle revenue licenses, DPL driving license permissions and DPL petrol coupons.
- The Division also issues visa clearances for Foreign Missions & UN Organizations and Airport Passes for the staff of the Foreign Missions in Colombo.
- The Division also coordinates issuance of VIP Lounge Permits and Diplomatic Clearances for Foreign Aircrafts & Ships.
- Accreditation / Presentation of Credentials: Protocol Division is responsible for arranging ceremonies for presentation of Credentials by foreign Ambassadors accredited to Sri Lanka, seeking Agreement for Sri Lankan Ambassadors / High Commissioners appointed to other countries, issuing identity cards for foreign diplomats based in Sri Lanka and their departure formalities.
- Provision of Advises on Logistical and Protocol for International Conferences: Protocol Division continues to play a key role in promoting Sri Lanka as an attractive venue for holding International Conferences. In this context, the protocol Division closely coordinates the necessary arrangements with the relevant line Ministries and Departments.
- The Protocol Division also provides necessary assistance and guidance to the staff members of the relevant line agencies to perform protocol and logistical functions related to such international conferences.
Protocol Division is headed by Chief of Protocol, Mr. M.R. Hassen.
Telephone : 0094-(0)11 2 421 816
Fax : 0094-(0)11 2 325 346
General Contact Details of Protocol Division
Telephone : 0094 11 2 327 048
Fax : 0094 11 2328681, 2325346