East Asia and Pacific Division
The East Asia and the Pacific Division deals with matters pertaining to bilateral relations with 30 countries in the region, which are broadly categorized in to three areas, as following:
- China, Japan and the Republic of Korea
- ASEAN countries
- Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific countries
The Division is assigned with the task of keeping track of geo-political and socio-economic developments in these countries. It also directs Sri Lanka’s foreign policy regarding these countries in the political, economic, security, education and social spheres. Technical cooperation and development assistance, investment relations, tourism and cultural promotion through bilateral, regional and multilateral engagements are part of the duties of the Division.
The Government of Sri Lanka has established 11 resident missions and 4 consulates in the region.
- Manage and sustain Sri Lanka’s relations with the East Asian and Pacific countries
- Coordinating and overseeing work of the resident Sri Lanka Missions and Consulates in the region.
- Coordinating in formulating and signing of bilateral agreements and MOUs
- Coordination of Sri Lanka’s engagement with regional organizations
- Coordinating inward and outward visits at Heads of State, Heads of Government, Ministerial and Government official levels with these countries and ensuring follow up action.
- Liaising and coordinating with other line Ministries, the Sri Lanka Parliament and local agencies on matters pertaining to Sri Lanka’s relations with East Asian and Pacific countries.
- Liaising and coordinating bilateral relations with foreign Diplomatic Missions of countries from the East Asia and the Pacific based in Colombo.
- Handling matters related to Consular Affairs involving nationals of East Asia and Pacific countries in Sri Lanka, in coordination with the relevant authorities.
This division is currently headed by Actg. Director General Mr. O.L. Ameer Ajwad.
Telephone : 0094 11 2 423 900
Fax : 0094 11 2 446 091