Stolen or Lost Passport – Overseas
If your passport is lost or stolen, it is the responsibility of the holder to inform the concerned authorities immediately. Failure to do so may result in your lost passport being used for illegal activities and you may be liable for aiding and abetting an offence.
Steps to Follow
- Download a stolen or lost passport complaint from
- Make a complaint to your local police station in the country of residence and obtain a Police report as soon as possible
- Submit the duly filled application form together with Police report to the nearest Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission or Consulate
- Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission or Consulate shall transmit to the Immigration Department in Sri Lanka the details of the stolen or lost passport. Upon receipt of such information, necessary measures will be taken to cancel the stolen, lost or missing passport
If you find another person’s lost Sri Lankan passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelop to the address below.
Lost / Stolen Passport Desk
Department of Immigration and Emigration
No: 41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha
- Never use a Passport reported stolen or lost
- Passport reported stolen or lost are invalidated and can no longer be used for travel.
- The information you provide regarding a Stolen or Lost Passport will be entered in our Stolen / Lost Passport System and automatically shared internationally through INTERPOL
- If you recover the passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, please submit it to the address listed above. When you submit it, if requested – we will cancel it and return it to you. If not requested, it will be destroyed
- Once a passport is reported lost or stolen, it cannot be re-validated
You just reported your passport as lost or stolen to the Department of Immigration and Emigration (DIE) or Sri Lankan Embassy or Consulate.
In order to prevent misuse of your lost or stolen passport, the passport number will be stored, according to international policy, in the Stolen and Lost Travel Document Database of the International Criminal Police Organization – INTERPOL.
In case you find the passport that you have reported as lost or stolen, DO NOT use it. Instead, forward it as soon as possible to DIE or to the nearest Sri Lanka Embassy or Consulate.
If you use a passport that has already been declared as lost or stolen, you will be stopped by border control authorities and an investigation will follow. You may risk missing the flight or vessel to your destination, as well as other related consequences.
For more information contact
Department of immigration & Emigration
www.immigration.gov.lk or Telephone : +94 11 5329501/2